On display at the motorcycle show, where some nifty turn signals and brake lights using led strips to be installed on motorcycle sidecases. Figuring I could do one better, and not one to buy off the shelf if I can have some fun making it myself. I decided to undertake making my own.
This is the first post on the topic, basicly talking about initial part selection.
- bicolor/rgb led strips
- flash under braking for the first 1-2 seconds (strobe effect) solid afterwards
- indicate stop and turn at the same time
- running lights (dimmer amber)
Some parts on order:
- NeoPixel RGB Stick (mainly for testing)
- NeoPixel RGB Strip (final install)
- Adafruit Trinket Microcontroller
NeoPixels are pretty nifty and should make for some interesting options in terms of features. Driving a total of around 16 leds (8 per side) should mean the little microcontroller can handle it without stepping up to something much more sophisticated.
The NeoPixels need 5v, a small UBEC (RC 5v regulator board) will most likely be used.
Basic idea of the wiring to be done.