Melding Technology

Vancouver, BC

RigidBot Build

A few weeks ago I got my RigidBot 3D Printer from the kickstarter I back almost 18 months ago. After a lot of backers turned negative, this seems to still be one of the kickstarter that delivered. A few little issues did crop up during the build.

Some of the screw holes where stripped, lucky only 2, and not in a critical location. Also a few missing pieces, namely the heated printer bed. Last but not least the power supply had a good rattle to it. Popping open the power supply led to finding a chunk of random metal just floating around inside the case, with that removed, and checked over it powered up just fine.

Some pictures from my completed unit are below. I even got it printing just fine using Cura to slice, and OctoPi to run the printer. Some painters tape + hairspray to guarantee it would not lift off the bed, and away it went printing.

I have tested printing at up to speeds of 125mm/sec which may have been pushing it a bit fast, but overall the print quality did not suffer too much. I did find some issues with OctoPrint and will be upgrading to a newer version and will write up a post on my findings.

Rigidbot Built

Fully build was about 3h to put the kit together, most of it was pretty clear, still some minor things I want to fix. More about this to come.

Voodoo Donuts!

A test print 50mm angle calibration print, turned out decently.

MotoCamping Trip Vancouver, BC to Nicola Lake, near Merrit, BC

This is a much shorter trip then some of the other camping trips I have done. With only 290km or so to ride, it is within range of a single shot ride, no need to stop.

On the ride there I was joined by one of my friends, and we where lucky enough to get our camping gear carried by another vehicle making the trip, freeing us up for a more spirited ride.

From Vancouver, you end up taking the main highway (Highway 1) to Hope, BC, and from there we took Highway 5. With the new speed limits put in place in BC a few months ago, we saw speed limits raised from 110km/h on most of our ride to 120km/h. With grades up to 13% and most likely averaging something around 9% for a solid 50km I can say without a doubt it was a push for my CB500F at times to keep pace. But it was great ride, it was not till we go off the main road that it really became twisty. I will say that Highway 5 is a car killer, the number of cars I saw overheated on my ride back was staggering. Somehow the plucky little Japanese motorcycle build in Thailand, did not hesitate and just ate the distance.

There are some great little sections of road to explore around Merrit, BC as well as some great spots to camp out and just float on the lake. If you are in the area I would highly recommend a nice refreshing swim.

MotoCamping Trip Vancouver, BC to Hood River, OR

This will be the second time I do this ride. Vancouver to Hood River, about 600km each way. The previous time I took a nice route with an epic mountain road. It was also pretty much the first time I rode any real distance on my motorcycle.

I have to say NF25 was one of the most amazing twisty roads I have taken. Be warned that it is very desolate, and on a sunny saturday I did not see any one else for over an hour of riding. Would highly recommend. There is a little section that connects NF25 with the Columbia valley. And it has to be one of the nicest little sections of roads on the whole trip, with the trees cut back and pristine pavement, with plenty turns.

Turns out that on this time down due to weather, I stuck to the I-5. With a stop in Portland, OR to hang out with a friend and warm up after a few hours on the highway in the rain. Portland was a great break from the ride.

Including a detour to Voodoo Donuts of course!

Voodoo Donuts!

Some Fun with Py2Exe

Making small binaries with Py2Exe. Can be a bit tricky, there are few steps needed.

One of the trickiest parts is building the dll exclude list, and module exclude. A bunch of modules get included by default which will push up the size of the executable.

A few tricks about doing this. Don't build an all in one executable till you get this resolved. Once you build it, you can take a look inside the zip file and figure out which modules are currently included. Going over the list there are a few you can exclude, depending on if you need it or not you can exclude Unicode which will save a fair bit of room.

Executable built with py2exe have a nice side effect of being almost free artefacts and hard to disassemble. Which is a nice side effect at least for certain purposes.

Building the executable as a single file binary should be the last step you take. It is a lot easier to figure out and solve problems while building a normal binary.

PiCade build

A few month back there was a kickstarter for a nice premium mini arcade cabinet. Having backed the project I received my PiCade Maxi, the larger of the two versions made sporting a nice 13" display.

Below are a few photos from the build. It when together fairly easily, taking about 2h to put together.

The only real thing to note is that the arcade buttons don't feel nearly as nice as some of the others ones I have, and I will need to swap those out in the future.


Pirate, Monkeys! and a mountain of parts!


Back off the PiCade putting in the filling.

PiPlay Splash

The finished product! Running PiPlay (aka PiMame)